GRADE: 9/10 (Open)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time, Part-time, Private and Online
Grade 9 or 10 Business Support System introduces students to information and communication technology in a business environment and builds a foundation of digital literacy skills necessary for success in a technologically driven society. Students will develop word processing, spreadsheet, database, desktop publishing, presentation software, and website design skills. Throughout Grade 9 or 10 Business Support System, there is an emphasis on digital literacy, effective electronic research and communication skills, and current issues related to the impact of information and communication technology.
Essential Question: How can we use technology in a responsible and balanced manner when it is everywhere?
- In this unit, students will explore some of the defining features of Information and Communications Technology (ICT), as well as hardware and software components. Students will be introduced to digital literacy, which emphasizes safe and smart ICT usage.
Technology for Productivity
Essential Question: How technology changed the way we work around the world in the past 30 years?
- In this unit, students will use a hands-on approach to applying technology for productivity. Word processing will be applied utilizing various software programs. Spreadsheets and data management will be utilized exploring effective functionality and display, as well as data methods. Programming logic will also be approached using various commands, algorithms and programming languages.
Technology for Presentation
Essential Question: How have presentations evolved over time and what might they look like in the future?
- In this unit, students will explore the use of technology for presentation. Presentation and web design elements will be examined and students will have the opportunity to create websites and presentations using a variety of software options. Data graphics and infographics will be identified and their best uses applied as students create their own graphic design.
Technology for Communication
Essential Question: Is using communication tools an important part of doing business in today’s world?
- In this unit, students will identify email etiquette and best practices, as well as virtual meetings and collaboration tools that can help in facilitating communication. Communication is an integral component of any business or organization. Technology has led to the ability to work remotely and away from your business team and clients. As a result, there is an increased need for communication tools.
Trends in Business Technology
Essential Question: What will be the next big thing in the technology world that will change how we work?
- In this unit, students will briefly go over some of the major trends in business technology. Students will review social media, big data, and apps and smart devices and their applications through a variety of case studies. As students have seen in the course, technology is advancing at an alarming rate and is firmly ingrained in business processes.
15% of Final Grade
- This project is one of the final evaluation for this course. This project will be worth a total of 15% of the final grade.
Proctored Exam15% of Final Grade
- This exam is the final evaluation of this course. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours.