GRADE: 11 (University)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time, Part-time, Private and Online
Grade 11 Computer Science introduces students to computer science. Students will design software independently and as part of a team, using industry-standard programming tools and applying the software development life-cycle model. They will also write and use subprograms within computer programs. Students will develop creative solutions for various types of problems as their understanding of the computing environment grows. In Grade 11 Computer Science, students will also explore environmental and ergonomic issues, emerging research in computer science, and global career trends in computer-related fields.
Essential Question: How do the different components of a computer interact to enable the programming of computer software?
- In this unit, students will learn about different types of computer hardware and how computer software interacts with that hardware.
Solving Problems Using Math Algorithms
Essential Question: How do we create mathematical algorithms to solve problems with a computer programming language?
- In this unit, students will learn about how to solve simple problems by collecting, manipulating, and outputting data using a computer programming language.
Solving Problems Using Control Structures
Essential Question: How do we get software to change the flow of control in an algorithm?
- In this unit, students will learn how to use selection structures to make programs make decisions, and repetition structures to make programs execute code multiple times.
Solving Problems Using List Structures
Essential Question: How can we efficiently store and manipulate large amounts of data within computer software?
- In this unit, students will learn how to use lists and arrays to store, organize, process, and output large amounts of data.
Solving Problems Using Modular Programming
Essential Question: How do we take complex computer science problems and break them down into small manageable tasks?
- In this unit, students will learn how to use top-down problem-solving methods and write functions in a computer programming language.
Trends in Computer Science
Essential Question: What types of careers and emerging technologies exist in the field of computer science?
- In this unit, students will learn about computer programming related careers, be introduced to the field of artificial intelligence, and examine the environmental impact of computer technology.
15% of Final Grade
- This project is one of the final evaluations of this course. This project will challenge students to use all the concepts they have learned throughout this course and is worth 15% of the final grade.
Proctored Exam15% of Final Grade
- This exam is the final evaluation of this course. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours.